Tuesday, August 15, 2006

On Apple

I'm one of those people that have become an Apple enthusiast through the sweet bait that is the Mac mini. Prior to picking up my G4 mini in February of 2005, I had only used Windows, DOS, Be and Linux on PCs my whole computing life.

The Mac platform is amazing. Virus worries and spy ware are history, the system is rock solid (no crashing), the hardware looks sexy, I'm able to make killer movies and photo albums - everything "Just Works" - all while only sacrificing the ability to run most of the applications being written today. I say it's worth it.

Yet I'm worried about Apple and harbor some reservations about the company and it was WWDC that has reinforced those reservations. In particular, several observers noted that Steve Jobs appeared gaunt and unwell, raising speculation that the cancer he fought in 2004 had returned. So many rumors were flying around that Apple was forced to issue a statement regarding Jobs' health. Apparently he's doing just fine.

Still, apart from being concerned for the man himself, I was concerned for Apple. What could an illness, or simply a departure, mean for a company that so obviously relies on the leadership and charisma of their chief executive icon?

No comments: