Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dreamhost

I got broadband way back in the 90's, back when the earth was still inhabited by strange beasts and when magic could be felt in the primordial air. I got broadband and began to host small sites for friends and myself. It was convenient to have a server in my house and liberating - I could offer what I wanted, when I wanted, without restriction.

Speakeasy only made it that much better.

But over time I became annoyed with having to do manual setup of applications and sub-domains, ensuring that I was throttling bandwidth between computers to keep things responsive. I began to think to myself that maybe it wasn't so great trying to run the Internet out of my bedroom. Then I read that it costs about $10 a month in electricity alone to run a normal computer.

That sealed it for me, especially since Dreamhost only costs $10 a month, and it comes with a ton of great stuff. Setting up websites and services through Dreamhost is trivially easy - so easy that I feel a little like I've been spinning my wheels for a couple years, doing an excess of work that I've not needed to. At least I'm better now.

No comments: