Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Philosophy

I do a fair amount of random poking around on Wikipedia. I forget how I came to this, but I ended up on Valerie Solanas, Situationism and most interestingly, Alternative Society.

I'm conservative. I think radical feminists like Valerie Solanas are destructive to society, and not in a good way (meaning they seek only to destroy and have little to offer, rather than destroying with the aim of rebuilding something superior in its place). I think counter-culture movements like Situationism, Anarcho-communism, Leftism and the associated bits are similarly non-productive/-effective/-reasonable/-helpful.

So I found it interesting that I identified with some of the ideas of Alernative Society. Specifically, rather than trying to destroy something to build something else in its place, AS seeks to provide viable, working alternative to a system that draws people to it. Think about it as the new idea wins the popularity contest.

I grant that AS is a bit unworkable in certain situations, but America is an open and free enough society that, rather than seeking revolutionary progress, anybody should be able to communicate and further their ideas and goals through AS (if they're good ideas). I'd like to pursue this topic further, to see what's been done, and to explore what might be the natural limitations of this form of activism.

No comments: