Monday, September 25, 2006

Social Experiment

My visit to the Apple Store grand opening was part interest and part social experiment. Given the interest in the event that I had seen on sites like digg and Ars Technica's Infinite Loop, I figured maybe I could get some eyes on my blog here if I delivered the goods. No go.

In fact, spectacularly so. I think I got a couple of people through the site here, but my attempt at doing anything more, in this instance, was pretty much a flop. Oh well.

The trip wasn't a total waste, however. I did, after all, get to enjoy the whole "experience" that is Apple. The crowd was enormous, the store was really well done and I think that I determined a few other bits of information.

For example, I now believe that Apple brings in store opening "ringers". That is, there were some very attractive and nice people running the show, and I find it hard to believe that Columbia itself could have produced that many beautiful nerds. That's something that's hard to do even on a national level.

There were a bunch of really professional photographers there, but I didn't see many of them taking any pictures. In fact, I don't think I saw any of them take any pictures. That's not to say that there weren't pictures being taken, because there were - just not so many by the pros.

All in all, though, it was a cool experience.

No comments: